Monday, January 25, 2010

Mendoza summer

I´m just starting into my second week of Spanish lessons at Intercultural Institute in Mendoza and still enjoying the city. I´d love to say that I´m getting used to the heat, but that would be a big fat lie. In reality, I think I´m actually sweating more and more as the days go by. By the time 9am rolls around, its already close to 90 degrees and it just keeps climbing from there. The hottest part of the day is from 1pm to 7 or 8pm, that´s right... pretty much all freakin day. Its now perfectly clear why these folks hide out for 5 hours a day. Unfortunately I´m rather hot blodded to begin with so I spend sietsa looking for a cool spot or in the pool at the apartment.

My favorite little spot is a bodega in the main center of town called the Vines of Mendoza, twice a week they have a 50% off tasting menu. As such, I find myself there often and its a good spot to find english speaking folks. I´ve made some friends, a couple who are currently living in town and another couple who will be leaving this Friday. In the meantime its nice to see familiar faces and have some english conversation. Of course, going out for dinner at 7 or 8pm also ensures that you´ll be surrounded by Americans, who else would dare to eat dinner that early. Still not sure what I´m going to do for my birthday but I´m thinking its the perfect opportunity to treat myself to a fancy dinner followed by a weekend in a hotel with air. For now, I´m heading back into the heat to tackle some laundry. Its impossible to wear any clothes more than once with the amount of sweating I´m doing.... maybe I´ll loose some weight on this trip afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment